Sunday, February 23, 2014

Snow and Science

We had an amazing week.  It started with a nice Monday holiday from school and work.  The weather was great and so we headed out for a family snowshoe trip.  We had such a great time!

Can you believe that we're about 4 feet up on top of the boardwalk around this lake?  The posts that you see in the foreground of this picture are actually posts up in the air of the boardwalk.

We had some great snow and quite enjoyed ourselves.


For some reason I enjoy crashing and falling in the snow.  I probably spent as much time down in the snow as I did walking.  I'm fairly confident that no other person in the whole wide world has ever made a snow angel in this spot!!!

Mom says this picture brings a little tear to her eye - she thinks I look very grown up!

Here's mom and Sam taking a break.

And here are the boys with mom.

And here is a family self portrait.  

 Sam always seems to need a ride as we get towards the end of the hike.  

But here he is finishing strong.

We had a little snack in the car after our snowshoeing adventure . . . .

. . . . but then dad decided to take us all out for sushi on the way home.  Sam loves sushi - except that the bites are a little big for a small guy.

I have never been a sushi fan - but I decided to be brave and try a California roll.  The parents promised that there wasn't anything "raw" in this roll so I gave it a whirl.  I wasn't too excited to find out there was seaweed in it, but then I decided I actually liked it.  And most of all, I'm very proud of myself for trying it!

Then on Thursday this week, it was Science Fair time at school.  Sam's presentation was first.  He did a class project about Germs.  Here is the invitation he made inviting us to see it.

You can take a look at his parts in the presentation here.  He is officially known as "Sam the Science Guy!"  His teachers said that he was the most responsible student in class and that's why he got the parts that he did.  



He did a great job, didn't he?  Here he is in full costume.  

And here he is with his project notebook.  His class really did do a great job!

Here is Sam with his best friend Elinor and some of his other friends.

And just for fun, here are the petri dishes that they collected from different parts of their classroom.  Gross, huh!

And finally, Sam with his science fair posters.

 Then it was my turn for some Science.  My class split in two for two different projects.  I chose to work on bridges and tried to determine the strongest type of bridge.  Here I am with my half of the class doing our presentation.

Here is our poster and my project notebook.

And here I am with some of my best friends - Ben G., and Davis.  

 Sam's after school teacher brought a real 2002 Olympic torch for us to see.  We've been LOVING watching the Olympics the past two weeks.  I've decided I want to learn how to snow board and Sam just wants to do anything where he can go fast!

And finally, here I am working hard on my book report that is due this coming week.  More on that next time.  

Sam Alert:  Hey everyone - wasn't that a great week?  I got to ditch school for about 1 1/2 hours to spend a little quality time with mom.  Mason had a test after his Science Fair so mom signed me out.  Here I am sneaking out to the car.

And we went grocery shopping - we found a store that had shopping carts just my size.  I was in charge  the whole time.  It was soooo much fun to be in charge of the cart.  I got to pick out all the items, push them around, and put them up for the cashier to ring up.  What's more fun that spending time with mom?  Being in charge of that time - that's what!

Sam out - have a great week!

No comments: