Sunday, May 26, 2013

Weekend Surprises

How is it possible that Memorial Weekend 2013 is already here?  It seems like it was just barely Christmas!  Well, regardless, we are having an excellent long holiday weekend - hope you all are too.
 
We started our week with a fun family night out to our favorite Mexican restaurant - mmm, mmm good!  The nice lady that owns it discovered that Sam loves olives and she brought him out his own special silver bowl full of olives.  Oh, does Martha have a special place in our hearts!
 
After dinner we played some games - good family fun!
 
Then finally, the weekend arrived.  We headed up to the cabin on Friday night and started our weekend of relaxation.  Mom and dad set an alarm for Saturday morning and got us up early - - to head out for a nice drive (so they told us anyway).  Well we did take a drive . . . . and guess where we ended up?  Our favorite historic railroad to see and ride Thomas the train.  We remembered that Thomas comes to Utah every Memorial weekend, but those sneaky parents told us that they had to work on Friday and that we had sadly missed Thomas this year.  Who knew that Thomas stayed the whole weekend?  Apparently the parents did - and we had tickets for the first train on Saturday morning.
 
So we spent the morning with Thomas and his friends, including Sir Topham Hatt.  
 
Here we are just after boarding the train, waiting for our ride to start.  These are a couple of super happy boys!
 
This is a picture of me during our ride.  (I was pretending to be a very excited, very very cute puppy dog!)
 
And here's Sam - check out that smile.  Only train rides can make us smile like this.  Ok, maybe train rides and chocolate.
 
I know this picture is a little dark inside the car, but look at that beautiful scenery that we get to ride past on this train.  And we might just mention, that the majority of Memorial weekends tend to be cold and/or rainy around here - but this was a BEAUTIFUL weekend!
 
Here we are with daddy in front of steam engine #618.  He's an old engine that has been beautifully restored.
 
And here we are with mom in front of Thomas.  We had a great morning/afternoon.  We headed out for some more yummy Mexican food in Midway and then . . . .
 
 . . . . headed back up to the cabin.  The marshmallow shooters are always a huge hit.  I would have to honestly say though, that this particular weekend I ate more marshmallows than I actually shot. 
 
We were also excited to get our rock shops open and ready for the summer.  This is me at my shop - "The Broken Rod".  I drive a hard bargain.
 
Here's Sam at his store - "Sam's Rock Shop".  He's giving his speech about the store and the things he has available to sell.  
 
We got to sleep in Sunday morning and had a truly relaxing morning.  Here is me and Sam playing with Fort West.  It was fun!

 
 We always try to get in a game of football at the cabin too.  We're working on catching and throwing . . . . and doing pretty darn good at it too.  Oh, we're also getting pretty darn good at climbing down the hill to fetch the ball when we miss it too.
Ah -  a great, relaxing and enjoyable weekend was had by all!
 
 Sam Alert:  Hey everyone - Sam here.  This is a picture of me on a hike.  I always seem to find great sticks that look like animal horns/antlers. 
 
 And here I am posing for some pictures for mom.  I can strike quite the pose!
 
 And here I am tonight after we got back home.  We had a lovely dinner on the back patio and played and played and played.  I got my golf clubs (from Santa) out and got to practicing.  Ahh - who loves summer more than me? 
 
 Sam out! 



No comments: