Sunday, February 19, 2012

Our Maiden Snow Shoeing Adventure


We've been wanting to do this for a long time and we finally got up the energy (plus some good weather) to try it out . . . and this was really one of our most favorite adventures!

Mom and dad have had their snow shoes for awhile. And then this winter we found kid-sized snow shoes at Costco - some surprisingly good ones. Well we jumped all over that and then spent a few minutes on Friday afternoon trying them out, fitting them to our boots, and getting used the wide-stepping needed to walk in them.


While we were outside, we took advantage of the sun to ride our bikes and scooter.


Does it look like I'm having fun?

Sam too? Guess we just weren't in the mood to smile for mom's camera.

But anyway . . . back to our snow shoeing adventure. We decided to take it easy on our first trip out and went up to the Solitude Nordic Center. They have lots of trails along with some groomed, level areas to keep it easy for us little guys. This is our family picture about half way into our hike.


We started out with some easy walking on the flats. Here we are with dad.
We walked on the flats about half way around the lake.Then we got into the hills and the trees. There was some great natural scenery.
It didn't matter if we were out in the open or up in the trees - it was such a pretty day.






Sam was pretty darn tired by the end of the hike. Daddy carried him the last few feet.
I spent a good portion of the day down in the snow . . . mostly because I wanted to. Can't blame a guy - snow is fun! And this is the perfect way to end a day of snow shoeing . . . . a homemade lunch in the back of the truck. Mmmm, mmmm, good! We are definitely doing this again, and again, and again. It's just like hiking, except it's in the snow. It was great!


Sam Alert: Hey everybody! I may have little legs but I am a mighty strong snow shoe-er! And I loved every minute of it! Ok, maybe not at the very end when I was exhausted, but still it was a super fun day!Here I am doing some rock climbing in my snow shoes. It was a beautiful day and a great time was had by all of us. See you next week.

No comments: